Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Making it a habit (and cheating)

Okay, so I haven't posted anything in a while and I'm actually kind of cheating with this post. I wrote a post up over at my other collaborative blog Tangled (link in the sidebar!) and I'm going to basically use the same post. (Shame on me, I know! But I'll explain why I've been absent lately and even add pictures to this post!)


At Tangled we're doing free topics and I'd thought I'd talk about writing as a habit and I've been wanting to talk about it here too, so you both get it! I've wanted to talk about writing as a habit, because lately, I've fallen out of the habit of writing and I don't like it.

It's not that I'm "waiting for inspiration" or anything like that because if I only wrote when inspiration struck me then, honestly, I wouldn't write all that much. Because writing is hard. Like really hard sometimes.

Instead, life has kinda of gotten in the way of writing for me lately. Amazing and great things have happened, so I'm definitely not complaining about that! Since the hubby and I are expecting our first baby in August, we've both been busy preparing and all that. I've been exhausted from the pregnancy up until recently. I've gone out of town to visit family. Other family has come into to town to visit. Work is always there. So, yeah, lots of things have been keeping me busy.

And I've neglected my writing because of it. That's not to say I haven't done anything though. I worked up an outline of revision stuff for my agent and have started on them. I've added a chapter here and there to my current WiP, but nothing consistent and I'm discontent because of it.

In the moments of downtime and quiet, I'm bored or discontent. It's even effected my reading. I've been reading less, even when I have the time. I've just started picking up some MSs and books again lately. But in those moments of extra time that are rarer than ever for me right now, I don't immediately go to writing. I decide sleep is nice (b/c ppl love to tell me how I'll never sleep again after this little baby comes!), or I just want to relax and watch T.V. or something like that.

But I've come to realize that I'm one of those people that need to make a habit or writing if I want to make it a priority. I'll put if off because it's hard work, even though I love writing. Once I actually sit down, I remember how much I love writing and why I started and how wonderful it is to weave sentences together into a story all it's own. I love writing.

So why can't I remember that during the times when I take a week off? Because somehow during that week, I forget and one week turns into two into a month and so on of un-fulfilling and sporadic writing.

And this is why I need to make writing a habit. Always. That doesn't mean I can't take a vacation or anything, but I need to learn to make writing a habit again each time I take time off. And that's what I'm doing now. I'm making it a habit. I've set a new writing goal for myself and I plan on sticking to it. I'm working on writing, even a little bit, everyday now. I can't wait for when I'm not tired or distracted or for the mood to hit me. That's not how I work, b/c I'd never get anything done that way.

What about you? Is writing a habit for you? Do you fall out of the habit and push writing aside like I have? Or can you keep up with wanting to write even if it's sporadic?

Either way, I hope you all are having a great day and get to create lots of wonderful words today!


And now pictures! (Of what *has* been keeping me busy! lol And yes, they are baby related!)

 During my absence on here, the hubby and I found out the sex of our little baby and I worked on the nursery. Have a look!)

Yes, we're nerds, but we're okay with it :)

And look at that perfect little baby girl! <3 already="" in="" love.="" p="">

This is the horrendous before picture of the nursery. JUST LOOK AT THAT PANELING! You wouldn't believe it, but this same paneling was in the basement of the house I grew up in and (pictured here) in the basement of the house Hubby grew up in also. Weird.


And here is our nursery after! So much brighter looking! (Yes, her name is Corinne. I love it.) It's not completely done, but getting closer! (And that dresser definitely needs to be repainted!)

So there are my (cute) baby pics of what has kept me busy from writing lately. Now, back writing as a habit! Have a wonderful day, lovelies!



3 comments:

  1. Yay because I get more chapters to read! :)

    I love the nursery and I LOVE the name you picked out. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a little disappointed that this post doesn't have a close-up of that paneling. How could you NOT showcase that awesomeness?!

    Glad you're writing again! And I can not wait to meet Rinn! :D

    ReplyDelete