Sunday, July 24, 2011

Review: Angel Burn

Description:

Willow knows she’s different from other girls, and not just because she loves tinkering with cars. Willow has a gift. She can look into the future and know people’s dreams and hopes, their sorrows and regrets, just by touching them. She has no idea where this power comes from. But the assassin, Alex, does. Gorgeous, mysterious Alex knows more about Willow than Willow herself. He knows that her powers link to dark and dangerous forces, and that he’s one of the few humans left who can fight them. When Alex finds himself falling in love with his sworn enemy, he discovers that nothing is as it seems, least of all good and evil. In the first book in an action-packed, romantic trilogy, L..A. Weatherly sends readers on a thrill-ride of a road trip - and depicts the human race at the brink of a future as catastrophic as it is deceptively beautiful.

They’re out for your soul . . . and they don’t have heaven in mind.


Review:

This is one of the few angel books that I actually really liked. I think it's because in it they aren't really associated with heaven and God but have a slightly more scifi-ish explanation that I like for the book. Almost as if they weren't really angels but just looked like what people think of as angels. But I don't want to give away any spoilers, so I won't go into that anymore.

I think most of you know that I write also, which means that not only am I looking at the story, character development, plot pacing and all those other things, but I also end up paying attention to the writing itself while I read. And this was one of those book that while reading it, I was impressed with the writing. (It happens a lot.) What I really admired about the writing was the way L.A. Weatherly switched between first person (with Willow) and third person (centering around other key characters) without it being jarring. I really enjoyed that. Another writing aspect of the book that I liked was how the back story was mingled throughout the book really fluidly and organically and we weren't just giving random sections of info dumps.

The story itself was great too. There were parts when I thought, if this was me it would be the most boring thing in the world, but somehow L.A. Weatherly makes even mundane activities interesting, keeping the pacing fast. This was a book that made me want to keep reading even when I knew I should have been doing other things (You know, like eating or sleeping. Little things like that.)

And of course, I love a little love story also and the tension and attraction between Willow and Alex was very well done. There were parts where they actually get to know each other as people and I really liked that. Willow was a great character. Strong and quirky with a good character arc. I loved her hobby. Alex is equally well rounded with another great character arc in there too. And who doesn't love a boy that knows how to handle a gun?

So yeah, this is a book that I really really enjoyed and I will be eagerly waiting for the next one, Angel Fire, which I believe is set to come out October 2011!


No comments:

Post a Comment