Thursday, June 9, 2011

Review: Hereafter

Description:

Can there truly be love after death?

Drifting in the dark waters of a mysterious river, the only thing Amelia knows for sure is that she's dead. With no recollection of her past life—or her actual death—she's trapped alone in a nightmarish existence. All of this changes when she tries to rescue a boy, Joshua, from drowning in her river. As a ghost, she can do nothing but will him to live. Yet in an unforgettable moment of connection, she helps him survive.

Amelia and Joshua grow ever closer as they begin to uncover the strange circumstances of her death and the secrets of the dark river that held her captive for so long. But even while they struggle to keep their bond hidden from the living world, a frightening spirit named Eli is doing everything in his power to destroy their newfound happiness and drag Amelia back into the ghost world . . . forever.


Review:

I loved this story. It was such a unique take on a ghost story. I really enjoyed that it was from the ghost's point of view. Tara Hudson also does a great job showing how Amelia can and can't feel certain things. The descriptions were just beautiful.

The story unfolds with just bits and pieces of Amelia's story and was so well done! The way the reader was only given a little at a time really kept me wanting to turn the page to find out more. I think I read this book in two days and would have read it even quicker if my ipad hadn't died for a little while!

The chemistry between Amelia and Joshua was really nice and believable, and I loved the problems that came along with one of them being a ghost and one a human. It was so interesting. They also made me really want to root for them the whole time!

I also really enjoyed the dynamics between Eli and Amelia as well. The push and pull between them was perfect. Eli is a great villain because he's more than just the bad guy. He's not a flat character at all but has layers that pull you in and make you interested in him, dislike him, and feel for him too.

So, I really liked this book and would recommend it to anyone looking for a unique ghost story! The end sums up the story pretty well but there is a small cliffhanger (not an "Oh-my-gosh!-How-could-the-writer-do-that-to-me" cliffhanger) but a small one. And I definitely can't wait for the next book!

Hereafter by Tara Hudson came out June 7th, 2011!~


No comments:

Post a Comment