Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Review: The Near Witch

Description:

The Near Witch is only an old story told to frighten children.

If the wind calls at night, you must not listen. The wind is lonely, and always looking for company.

And there are no strangers in the town of Near.

These are the truths that Lexi has heard all her life.

But when an actual stranger—a boy who seems to fade like smoke—appears outside her home on the moor at night, she knows that at least one of these sayings is no longer true.

The next night, the children of Near start disappearing from their beds, and the mysterious boy falls under suspicion. Still, he insists on helping Lexi search for them. Something tells her she can trust him.

As the hunt for the children intensifies, so does Lexi’s need to know—about the witch that just might be more than a bedtime story, about the wind that seems to speak through the walls at night, and about the history of this nameless boy.

Part fairy tale, part love story, Victoria Schwab’s debut novel is entirely original yet achingly familiar: a song you heard long ago, a whisper carried by the wind, and a dream you won’t soon forget.

Review:

Lovely and creepy. Those are the best words for me to describe this book. It's beautifully written and the story is so gorgeously creepy (and if that doesn't make sense to you now, it will when you read it!). Victoria pulled me in from the first page and never let go!

The characters were wonderful, fully fleshed out and believable. Lexi is the kind of girl that knows who she is and doesn't care what others think. She's going to do what she believes is right. Even if others tell her not to. Even if it scares her. And oh goodness, could Cole have been anymore swoon worthy? The mysterious stranger that everyone blames for what is happening to the children. Poor guy. I don't want to give any of his story away though, so I'll move on. The other characters in the book, all of them, were created so fully that they didn't feel like just side characters put in because they were needed for this or that to happen. Instead they ended up feeling as if I knew them right along with Lexi, they were so richly created.

The tension in the book was palpable all throughout it! Let me tell you, my heart was seriously beating fast in my chest at certain parts, especially ones with the Near Witch. And just so you know, I fell in love with the descriptions that Victoria gave for the witch: hauntingly beautiful. The personal story of the witch was so scary and so sad at the same time that it couldn't have been written any better! I loved the way this story came together and I did not want to put it down! I thought the way that Victoria added in the songs and rhymes along with the way the wind plays into that was amazing. I felt the wind, I heard the song, I tasted Lexi's fear. This is a book that I will recommend to anyone!

(I felt like I should have read this story sitting next to a campfire as the light flickered and the wind blew and animals made little noises all around me. So here you go Victoria, the chocolate is for you and the burnt marshmallows for me! *Nom nom nom*)

So, go out on August 2 of this year, lovely readers, and get The Near Witch by Victoria Schwab! You won't be disappointed!

2 comments:

  1. Ah, lovely and creepy sounds like something I'd like to read. I'll definitely pick this up once it's released!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey new GFC follower from the autism awareness hop!! love your blog, and i'll stop again by once the contest is up!

    follow me?!

    http://lindsaycummingsblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete