Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Review: Bumped


Description:

When a virus makes everyone over the age of eighteen infertile, would-be parents are forced to pay teen girls to conceive and give birth to their children, making teens the most prized members of society.

(I shortened the description because it's long and also, this was the only description I'd read before I started reading the book. For a full description click on the picture)


Review:

This was a hard book for me to review. I found the book to be entertaining and difficult. At the beginning is a letter from the author about how this book is all about extremes and because of this the characters have the most extreme situations, ideals, and expectations.

Melody grows up surrounded with the belief that she should want to be pregnant at a young age because, in the world that Megan McCafferty has created, sometime after your teens everyone becomes infertile. Melody grows up with her adoptive parents with the idea that she should basically sell her 'eggs' to the highest bidder of infertile couples. It was difficult to read a book where half the view was encouraging young girls to become pregnant as if it were just another way to make 'money' with no repercussions.

And then on the other side, Melody's twin sister, Harmony, is adopted by a religious group and this religious group is definitely taken to the extreme. I kept getting a little annoyed at the way the 'church' in the book was shown because I feel like so many people think this is how all religious people are.

Throughout the book, I kept reminding myself of the letter from the author at the beginning of the book, kept reminding myself that this whole book was meant to showcase the way these things could be taken to these extremes.

I did really enjoyed the character arcs through the book, seeing how they adapt and begin to think for themselves. I did find the book entertaining and I'm not saying it was bad at all. I think it was exactly what the author was going for and that she did a good job of writing it. And by the end of the book, I was left wondering what the characters were going to do next and wanting to know more about them (yes, there is a sequel. You aren't left with an open ended book and no future resolution)

I was left feeling like this book was difficult but good and I kind of feel like it was exactly what the author was going for. It was hard to read about the way the teens looked at sex and their babies and hard to read about the generalization of those that were religious too. The story and message were definitely good and Megan is certainly a great writer though.

Also, I really loved Zen. He was hilarious and wonderful. I wish he would have been in it more, but I'm guessing he'll have a little bigger part in the sequel.

So, what about you guys? Have you ever read a book that was just hard to read but still good? (Wow, also realized this is a such a long post. Sorry, guys!)

No comments:

Post a Comment