Saturday, March 19, 2011

Review: The Goddess Test

Description:

Every girl who has taken the test has died.

Now it's Kate's turn.


It's always been just Kate and her mom--and now her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear her mother won't live past the fall.

Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld--and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.

Kate is sure he's crazy--until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she'll become Henry's future bride, and a goddess.

Review:

I really loved this book. I have a special love for stories with Greek myths in them, so when an author writes a really good and unique Greek-themed story, I'm in love!

From the beginning I felt sympathetic to Kate/felt she was relatable and I never lost that feeling throughout the story. I really liked her and all the other characters too. Each one had their own personality and purpose. And Henry was just perfect. A great blend of 'god of death' and cute love interest. My favorite thing about him was probably the detail that Aimee showed in his speech. He doesn't talk like a modern teen boy (since he claims he's not), but his speech isn't so outdated either that it was weird to read. It was a distinctive voice that I really enjoyed. I wanted more Henry though (not that it made the story feel lacking, I just wanted more of him in there--to know more about what he did when Kate wasn't around, but there is going to be a sequel [squee!/yay!] so I'm hoping to see more of him there!)

The plot was so engaging. After reading the description about the tests that Kate would have to go through, I figured it'd end up being a pretty straightforward book, but I was wrong! I didn't even know half the time (okay more than half) when/what the tests were until they were revealed to Kate in the story and the twists just kept me so enthralled in this story! This is a book that I will definitely read again. I loved the story and the characters and all the other parts (setting, descriptions, ect.) all just added to make the story even lovelier!

The Goddess Test by Aimee* Carter comes out on April 26th by Harlequin Teen! I can't wait to buy a finished copy and reread it! I definitely recommend getting your hands on this book and falling into this wonderful story for yourself!



*-
Sorry, Aimee, I don't know how to type accent on your name :S

3 comments:

  1. I've read so many good reviews for The Goddess Test that I'm going to have to get it soon! Thanks for the review:)
    -Danna

    ReplyDelete
  2. How come this is the first time I hear about it?
    Thanks so much for the review, I'll keep an eye on this one! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know! I didn't hear about this book until a couple days before I read it and I'm so glad I stumbled upon it and even happier that I call tell others about this awesome book!

    ReplyDelete