Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Review: Across the Universe

So sorry I haven't posted in a while. Work started back up again and those little students of mine are giving me a run for my money and wearing me out! Anyway, here's a new review for you all. Hope you like it!

Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Description:

Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.

Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone--one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship--tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.

Now Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.


Review:
So any of you that have read some of my previous posts about this book know that I was so excited for it! And guess what?! It was worth all the excitement. I loved this book, every single part of it. The world, the events, the characters, all of them were so real and well created. From the first page, I felt like I was right there with Amy, choking and cold as she's frozen along with her parents. And even though almost all of the book takes place on just one spaceship, it's described in so well that the limited space of the world isn't any kind of hinderance for the book. It doesn't always work in some books having a limited setting, but this one really pulled it off.

The book is written from the point of view of both Amy and Elder. I'm always a little wary with this type of writing because it take a really good author to make it work. I've read books with multiple points of view where the different voices just blended, sounding like the same character. But in AtU both Amy and Elder have distinct personalities in the writing that really help develop them even more.

This books has plenty of twists and turns that fit into the plot perfectly (they weren't just thrown in there to shock you) and it left me wondering what would happen next the whole way! The book doesn't leave you on and extreme cliffhanger that will have you clawing your hair out in frustration, but it does have a few twists that leave you eagerly waiting for the next book! (too bad that's over a year away! Ack! Beth, what will I do until then?!)

So, Across the Universe comes out in less than a week now, January 11th, and I'm recommending that you all go check it out!! Also, anyone in the South Carolina area should check out Beth's launch party she's having with lots of cool prizes! Go here to find out more.

Keep checking back here too because I am gonna try to get my hands on a signed copy of AtU to do a giveaway for you guys. I'll have more information about that soon!

6 comments:

  1. Actually just finished this one, I liked it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Also I sent your books out to you. So, if you haven't gotten them yet, you will soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! All the reviews I've seen so far have been positive, so now I'm really excited for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the great review! I'm usually not too sure about science fiction kinds of books, but it sounds like this is a pretty good one. I'll have to add it to my list!

    I love your blog...I awarded you a Stylish Blogger Award at http://figuringoutthesmallstuff.com/2011/01/stylish-blogger-award/
    Please stop by to accept it when you get the chance!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review X! I totally agree with you. I love, love AtU.

    ReplyDelete