Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Review: Uglies Series


Hello friends! I feel like I've been slacking. I haven't done a real post in a while so I figured it wass about time!

So...on to the Uglies review!

Description (for book 1:Uglies)

Tally is about to turn 16, and she can't wait. In just a few weeks she'll have the operation that will turn her from a a repellent ugly into a stunning pretty. And as a pretty, she'll be catapulted into a high-tech paradise where her only job is to have fun.

But Tally's new friend Shay isn't sure she wants to become a pretty. When Shay runs away, Tally learns about a whole new side of the pretty world--and it isn't very pretty. The authorities offer Tally a choice: find her friend and turn her in, or never turn pretty at all Tally's choice will change her world forever...

Review:

Uglies is the 1st book in the Uglies series followed by Pretties and Specials and there is also a companion novel Extras. I'm going to review all these books together since I've been spending the last week reading them. I really liked this series. The writing is fluid and a style that I like. The pacing of each book is exciting, I don't think I felt a dull moment in any of them, and the overall arc of the story in the books is great. The story is really intriguing and after I finished Uglies I had to go out and buy Pretties right away because I just wanted to keep reading!
The characters well developed too. You see not just physical, but emotional character changes in them and even in a world completely different then ours, Scott Westerfeld makes them extremely relatable. The books also focus on the ideas of how much emphasis is put on beauty to how much reliance is laid into technology. They had me thinking about those kinds of subjects in a fresh way. So, all in all, I loved this series and I am definitely hooked on Scott Westerfeld's writing now! (ps.-he's one of the authors that I met at a book festival a little while back, go here to read the post about that!)

2 comments:

  1. Ohhhh! So jealous that you met Scott Westerfeld! He's my hero! He's coming to town here, but the week I'm on vaca! :( boohoo.

    I did an Uglies review too! http://madameduck.blogspot.com/2010/08/one-paragraph-review-time-uglies-scott.html

    ReplyDelete