Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Ah, the joys of being an aspiring and unpublished writer.

Ugh. So I've spent the majority of last night and today (not to mention other countless hours other days) on researching query letters and synopses. Not all that fun. After writing one query letter and sending it to an agent, I reread it and cringed. What was I thinking? It was terrible. No suprise that I didn't hear back from that agent. Thankfully, I only sent that out to just one. So now, I've been spending hours upon hours writing a new query letter that, so far, I'm much happier with and working on a synopsis (which I'm still in the middle of working on but am taking a break). How is it possible that I can: write a novel, revise, revise, revise it, and make edits upon edits to it, but these seemingly simple tasks of writing a query and synopsis are taking so much more out of me. Sigh...but the good news is, I'm persevering and still kinda enjoying it. What's the point of this post, you ask? Good question. The point is, I had planned on writing another short story to post either yesterday or today, but instead I have been sidetracked by this other stuff. Not too bad a thing, though, since this is pretty important stuff to me. What's the good news? Well, I still hope on putting up a new short story, but probably not until later tonight or tomorrow at the earliest. Also, if you have any ideas for a short story that you want to hear then I'm all ears. Feel free to throw an idea out there.

Yeah this was pretty much me after rereading that first query letter...but ya know, not in guy form.
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Don't feel bad! It happens to the best of us :) I wrote a book request to a publisher and, since it was 3 in the morning, didn't realize that it had a few typos. Minor, but I still felt like an idiot haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! Coming to the amazing realization that your query letter is perfect at 2 in the morning and hastily sending it out isn't so great. That's what I did with that one only to reread it later on and see the truth of that realization. Ah well, learn from mistakes!

    ReplyDelete