Saturday, January 15, 2011

Review: Stork


Description:

Family secrets. Lost memories. And the arrival of an ancient magical ability that will reveal everything.

Sixteen-year-old Katla LeBlanc has just moved from Los Angeles to Minnesota. As if it weren’t enough that her trendy fashion sense draws stares, Katla soon finds out that she’s a Stork, a member of a mysterious order of women tasked with a very unique duty. But Katla’s biggest challenge may be finding her flock at a new school. Between being ignored by Wade, the arrogant jock she stupidly fooled around with, and constantly arguing with gorgeous farm boy and editor-in-chief Jack, Katla is relieved when her assignment as the school paper’s fashion columnist brings with it some much-needed friendship. But as Homecoming approaches, Katla uncovers a shocking secret about her past — a secret that binds her fate to Jack’s in a way neither could have ever anticipated. With a nod to Hans Christian Andersen and inspired by Norse lore, Wendy Delsol’s debut novel introduces a hip and witty heroine who finds herself tail-feathers deep in small-town life
.

Review:

This book had a pretty unique idea for its story. I was both eager and an little nervous to read it. Eager because the idea was about a secret group of woman that were "storks" and nervous because it could have been just too weird for me. However, I really
liked this book. I thought it bordered reality and paranormal perfectly and even though the idea of a girl being a human stork could have turned out really strange it ended up great. I loved how Norse mythology tied into the story.

The characters were great. I liked Katla (and what a cool name). She was believeable and easy to connect with. I enjoyed the interaction and dialogue between her and Jack a lot too. I also really enjoyed the other 'stork society' characters--all the different older ladies with all their quirky personalities.

The storyline of the book was well paced and not a boring predictable plot. I thought that events and actions happened at just the right times and that the end was great. I can't wait to read the sequel, but it won't come out for a while! Oh no's....Anyway, if you see this book, pick it up and give it a chance. It was really good and you might like it too!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Christina!

    Well I'm not familiar with this title but the mention of Norse Mythology made me want to check it out. And yeah Natla is a cool name :P

    I wanted to let you I came back to my dorm this week and found lovely books waiting xD Thank you <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. This cover reminds me of the White Queen in Narnia...I think that's her name. The premise sounds really original. I just may look into this. thx

    Jen

    ReplyDelete